The new Élan 3rd Edition now here!
I am delighted to announce that the new version of Élan, Tactical rules for Napoleonic battles is now available
This version is a complete rewrite of all aspects of the popular 2nd Edition incorporating feedback from players over the last two years, new research into the tactics of the period, and work to streamline and simplify the rules where possible without sacrificing detail or nuance.
In a break with tradition, the rules will not be available in book form, only as an e-version in Adobe .pdf format. This results in two benefits; it reduces the cost substantially and allows the rules to reach more players much more easily. It also enables that if any additions or changes need to be made to the rules (heaven forbid!) I can release single pages
For those who have bought a previous version of Élan the rules will be free on request. Just contact the author at email@example.com and I will send you the rules, which comprise three parts: the main rules, plays charts and templates document.
Anyone else who wants a copy can receive one either via email or a floppy disc in the post by sending AUS$15.00 to me at: 30 Gunn Street, Yarralumla ACT 2600, Australia.
In the coming months, I will launching a new website, www.elanrules.com (nothing there yet!) that will offer the rules via a secure online transaction, along with several free supplements and other rules sets based on this system. It will also include examples, tips and articles and more besides to enhance your gaming experience and contributions will be
sought from players.
The new rules introduce many new ideas for players, yet retain many of the best features of the 2nd Edition. Current players will have no trouble learning the new aspects, and the new game plays at least 25% faster, as well has having any previous "grey areas" resolved. Many rules and procedures that were in 2nd Ed. have been re-formatted to ensure that they are easier to follow.
Besides a completely new layout (with improved indexing, grouping of subjects and rules and clauses written in a crystal clear, easy to read style), the rules incorporate several new aspects such as:
* New formations such as open and closed columns or squares, and lying troops down to reduce impact of artillery
* Fast target category deleted
* Close ranges for artillery extended slightly
* Simplified fire tables with an innovative fire zone template method for both small arms and artillery fire
* Removal of 45 degree arc fire (all stands -except skirmishers- now fire directly ahead)
* No more repeat volleys for class 1's nor compulsory unsteady fire for Russian infantry
* No more extra dice for British infantry or Class 5/6 troops volleys, they fire on the steady table instead (unless shaken) for successive volleys
* Artillery batteries can fire at multiple targets
* Bombardment now part of the Tactical Fire phase and available to
nearly all artillery units as an option instead of tactical fire
* Using Aide figures to add morale benefits to units at critical moments by attaching them
* Rockets now only cause morale and damage hits (and simpler method of use)
* Command now requires visible Staff stands for units
* Additional unit ratings for several nations and the introduction of some new nationalities
* New enhanced layout of the play charts and rules
* New benefits for morale and close assault for being on higher ground or attacking flanks
* Steady and Unsteady charges for Cavalry (the latter somewhat less effective)
* Number of Stands doesn't count when cavalry and squares fight in Close Assault
* Refined Close Assault results to ensure clarity and play balance
* 15mm scale measurements now incorporated throughout the rules and charts
* New examples and procedure tables throughout the document
* Optional Initiative (ie- if you don't want it you can pass it to the other side)
* Slightly harder to close with steady enemy, resulting in more accurate fire-fight situations (unless you soften them up first!)
* Removal of nearly all "national characteristics"
And much, much more......
This has not been a tinkering exercise (too much work for that!), it has been a very considered evolution of a good set rules into (I think) a truly world class set.
The new document is focused purely on the rules clauses, with some examples and procedures for various mechanisms. Other aspects such as enhanced illustrations and examples will feature on the website; this enables the rules to be focused and not too big a document.
So, if you like 2nd Edition, the new version will impress you, and if
you've never experienced Élan, I can assure you that they are up there with the best sets anywhere if you are seeking a playable, tactical rule
For more information visit the Élan forum at :
Return to Wargames Forum Return to Random Shots Return to the Library Return to Random Shorts
Please remember to mention
Wargames Forum when contacting traders!